Thursday, January 11, 2007

Scarf Tales (Take 2)

Three scarves loomed this week from Lion Brand Incredible yarn, three completely different results.

This flat nylon yarn has a lot of body to it, giving it a real springiness that makes it a challenge to work with. But it also has some gorgeous, super-saturated colors and a metallic glint that I knew would make it perfect for a skinny fashion scarf, and I was determined to figure out how to loom with it.

For my first attempt at a scarf, I chose Lion Brand Incredible in "Copper Penny" (and boy, is that metallic ribbon hard to photograph!), and an In The Attic large gauge round loom.

I loomed this scarf on an ITA adult-size large-gauge round loom as a flat panel, and simply alternated rows of knits and purls (to keep it flat). But I added a little twist — to lighten it up, I "super-sized" my stitches. I wanted the stitches loose so that you could see it was made from a ribbon yarn. As I wrapped the ribbon, I went around two pegs for each wrap, and then skipped a peg in between. As a result, for this eight-peg-wide scarf, I used about 24 pegs. This prevented the stitches from tightening up and flattening out the yarn, and really allowed you to see the colors.

I liked the way this scarf ended up, but it wasn't the scarf I planned. Scarf #1 came out a little boxier and denser than I wanted, but after hanging in my closet for a week it has loosened up a bit, and has a nice flow to it. Not quite the drape I wanted, but I got closer with scarf #2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home