Friday, September 01, 2006

Hey, You Asked!
—What Is the Best Way to Change Yarn?


"What is the best way to join the ends of your yarn if you need or want to start another skein?"

There are lots of creative ways to join ends, but here are a few methods that I like. I can use these methods when I want to start a new skein, whether I am using the same color or changing colors.

New yarn, new color. If you are changing colors, it is best to add a new color at the end of a row. Wrap your yarn to the end of your row (or to your starting peg) then knit that stitch off. Pull your old working yarn to the inside (or back) of your loom and anchor it. Start your new color by anchoring your new yarn, wrap your next peg, then continue wrapping your pegs. Knit off as you have been, and continue to knit with your new yarn.
When you have worked a whole row past where you joined your colors, you can untie both your old and new yarns from their anchors. Tie these two ends in a loose single knot (this helps ensure that there will be no hole in your work), then use a yarn needle or crochet hooks to weave them back into their matching color.

New yarn, same color [method number one, for bulky yarn]. If I'm working on a thick piece, or using bulky yarn, and am just adding a new skein in the same color, then I do a blended weave of the two ends. I knit my first skein until I have about eight or so inches left, then I take that working 8" end, and temporarily let it dangle on the inside of my loom. Next I take about the first few inches of my new skein, and starting right where I left off wrapping and knitting off, I weave that tail in-and-out between my pegs. I'll usually weave that tail in-and-out for six to ten pegs, depending on what I am making. Holding that working yarn in place, I go back to the ending of my first skein, and weave that in-and-out on opposite sides of the same pegs.

I now have two strands wrapped through the same pegs, and on each peg only one appears on the outside. Now just knit off this double strand until you get to the end of your wrapping, then continue to wrap and knit off your new yarn. You may have to tuck in an end when you're done, but it is a virtually invisible join.

New yarn, same color [method number two, for fine yarn]. Wrap and knit off until you are left with about six inches of your old skein. Take the yarn from your new skein, and holding it together with your first yarn, continue to wrap and knit off, treating the two strands as one. Do this for about four to eight pegs, then drop the old strand and continue with the new. When you are done, you can come back and trim off or tuck in the ends, and the join is nearly invisible.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this question. I was just wondering about this last night.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home