Friday, September 01, 2006

Why Bother?


"But couldn't you just buy a hat or a scarf? I mean, what's the point?"

We've all heard it. Or if we haven't heard it, we've been subjected to the condescending smile or sneer as we admit to someone who asks, that "Yes, I did make it myself." I'll bet that just about every one of us has had to explain why we choose to loom (or knit, or crochet, or bead, or paint) instead of just going out and buying a "similar" item from a store.

But we persist. Despite the occasionally snide negativity, we continue to craft because it means something to us. Every time we create something, it is absolutely unique, the only one of its kind in the world, even if we tried (successfully or not) to follow a pattern. That makes a lot of this worthwhile for those of us who don't like to play follow-the-leader. This craft is our art. Our chosen craft is an outlet for creativity, a way for each of us to express our individuality (and keep our hands occupied while we watch The Unit or CSI). So be proud that you are a loomer, a crafter, a creative, caring person. If necessary, remind yourself that —

• No one else will ever have the beautiful afghan that graces your couch.

• The new mother will certainly not get a duplicate of the wonderful layette you created.

• Your kids won't look like they shop at the same discount store as all the other kids when they wear their home made hats, scarfs and mittens.

• That fun fur pillow on the chair? All yours.

• The gorgeous fashion scarf you get compliments on? Yours and yours alone.

• The chemo hat you made in the spangly pink fun fur for the 12-yo leukemia patient? She wears it with pride because no one else has one, and it makes her feel special.

Now go get creative. You know you have it in you, so flaunt it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amoonsinger said...

Ah, if those people who question, could only experience the love and joy of a small child when given something made only for them. There is no better feeling then what that child gives over to you for that little bit of work by you.

My first experience was with my own children, then a neighbor who would not get in the car to be driven to school because he forgot the hat I had made for him over the holiday break. His mom said I don't know what you put into that hat but all he would say was not without my hat. Mary made that for me and I have to have it. Now I get the same from my grands. I have made them dozens of hats, and still they ask for more.

My own children, now in their 20's and 30's, still hold onto many of the things I made them. Can you have a better award for a job well done? Maybe but this is mine, all mine.

Well, they just don't know what they are missing and I certainly am glad that I didn't miss it.

MaryJeanne

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home